What is CYRIN?
CYRIN® is a next-generation cyber range platform featuring real tools, real attacks, and real scenarios that provides hands-on training and experience that students, educators, and professionals can use in realistic learn-by-doing scenarios. A cyber range is a collection of virtual computers where students can safely practice/train/learn in a controlled environment.
Who are the builders of CYRIN, and what is their mission?
CYRIN was built by Architecture Technology Corporation (ATCorp). ATCorp’s mission is to invent and develop innovative software products.
Tell me more about Architecture Technology Corporation (ATCorp).
ATCorp is involved in advanced R&D, systems engineering, and software development. We’re a company of approximately 80 employees headquartered in Minneapolis, MN, with a cybersecurity R&D center in Ithaca, NY. We have an active co-op program with noted Colleges and Universities in the United States. CYRIN was born out of a U.S. Department of Defense program several years ago. Virtual training has become essential to the DoD and we currently work with several stakeholders in the DoD on programs to enhance CYRIN’s content and effectiveness.
What are the benefits of CYRIN’s Cyber Range?
CYRIN trains students in the next-generation of cybersecurity skills from their own desktop. With virtual cybersecurity training in a real-world environment, CYRIN enables students to test their cybersecurity skills on their schedule with no custom software or travel necessary.
- 24/7, on-demand, online skill-building
- No need to gather students in a single location
- No custom software to install
- Multi-system, complex exercises that are difficult to replicate in work or home environments
- Low cost yet supports a wide range of cyber training areas
- Scalable, sophisticated training for large groups
- Instructor tools with monitoring flexibility
- Exercise Builder lets you rapidly move from ideas to labs in hours
What are some of the core components of CYRIN?
CYRIN has three primary components: a Training Platform with three levels of training, a Performance Evaluator and Monitor Module (PEMM), and an Exercise Builder Module (EBM).
- Training Platform. Currently there are three levels of training. A fourth level, providing week-long courses in fundamental security areas, is coming soon.
- Performance Evaluator and Monitor Module (PEMM). The PEMM allows students to track their progress and enables educators and managers to see how their students are progressing. The PEMM has individual and overall class views for educators and managers. The ability to grade, map progress, and view problem points are all included.
- Exercise Builder Module (EBM). The Exercise Builder, a feature unique to CYRIN, is a tool that allows educators and ATCorp to build new labs and courses into the CYRIN training platform. The Exercise Builder can help you move from idea to lab in hours. This allows CYRIN training to support the current generation of cybersecurity professionals while developing the next generation of cybersecurity leaders.
How are new labs, exercises, and attack scenarios developed?
These courses are predominantly developed by ATCorp using our rapid lab creation tools, including our drag-and-drop EBM and learning objective tree builder. Our focus is on hands-on exercises, meaning you'll use the software about which you're learning.
How often are new updates released?
ATCorp continually updates exercises/labs/attack scenarios and creates new ones. New content is released every quarter.
What are some of the new developments on the horizon?
Development includes new instructional labs, new scenarios/wargaming, new exercises, and improvements to the platform. These include:
- Secure DNS Configuration instructional lab
- Red team / blue team wargaming scenario
- Randomizer ICS/SCADA attack scenario (1-5 attacks at random times)
- VPN access to exercise networks; test out your incident response rig!
- Enhanced reporting metrics for instructors
Is CYRIN active in the education market?
Yes. CYRIN has several ongoing cyber-related projects with colleges and universities. We are particularly active in the co-op area where many colleges and university students work on CYRIN in conjunction with the CYRIN staff and within the construct of their college and university instructors. We also have students using CYRIN as part of their class curriculum.
What is the current outlook for cybersecurity jobs and opportunities?
According to the popular press, there is a growing market for cyber analysts in corporate America and the government today. To train students for this market, CYRIN currently has 34 skills development “labs” with more coming online all the time. There are also many exercises (Level 2), including team-based scenarios for students to compete in. Level 3 on the CYRIN platform consists of different types of attack scenarios, typically on an industrial control system (ICS) network.
Can you share info on the maximum number of concurrent users on CYRIN?
CYRIN can support hundreds of independent, simultaneous exercise runs, with additional users browsing educational content at the same time. It has been used by organizations with >100,000 participants. With a cloud-based CYRIN deployment, there is no practical limit to the maximum number of simultaneous exercises.
Do exercises require scheduling, or can students take them on demand?
CYRIN is an e-learning platform. No scheduling is required. Subscribers to CYRIN can use the system at will using any browser, in any place and at any time. The student can pause a lab in progress, come back to it later, and resume exactly where he or she left off.
What does the grading/assessment process look like for students and instructors using the platform?
The student can monitor his or her performance with each lab while they are completing the lab. Instructors can monitor students live or after the fact, with a detailed view into each student’s actions and evaluation tree. Instructors or managers can also get the completion percentage for each lab in a “grader report,” with several report options available. These reports reflect completion and ability based on the student’s actual accomplishments in the virtual environment.
Is there LTI integration?
Yes, CYRIN can be integrated with other learning platforms via the Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) standard. We are currently partnering with (ISC)2, a member organization of IT professionals, where we have integrated several CYRIN labs in their training content. Integration with other platforms is straightforward as well.
Do you have a course catalog?
Yes. Currently, our course catalog shows that by mid-year of 2020 we will have approximately 50 labs, cyber exercises, and attack scenarios on the CYRIN platform. You can request a copy of the course catalog from us at email@example.com.
Are any of the new labs, exercises, or attack scenarios that come online during my subscription available?
Yes, any new labs, exercises, or attack scenarios developed during your subscription period become available immediately to you at no extra charge.
Can I change or modify my subscription?
Yes, you can modify or change your subscription at any time.
What kind of pricing does CYRIN offer the Education and Enterprise Markets?
We offer flexible pricing plans, either based on usage or site-wide. We also have licensing options available, both either in-house, cloud, or via LTI integration.
Educational pricing options:
- Block of 10 instructor-selected labs, unlimited runs of each, priced per student
- Individual lab runs, with volume discounts available
- All 34+ instructional labs, priced per student and duration of access with volume discounts
- Unlimited access to all ICS labs, scenarios, and instructional labs: priced per student and duration
- Option to create labs of your own, then run them according to the pricing model above
Enterprise pricing options:
- Level 1 Labs
Entails all 34+ current labs plus any new labs developed during your subscription.
- Level 2 Exercises and Labs
Level 2 pricing includes all Level 2 Exercises plus all Level 1 Labs and any new exercises or labs developed during your subscription.
- Level 3 Attack Scenarios, Exercises, and Labs
Level 3 pricing includes all Level 3 Attacks, all Level 2 Exercises and all Level 1 Labs. It also includes any new attacks, exercises or labs developed during your subscription.
- Discounts are available for multiple users and on an enterprise-wide basis.
- Prices are per user.
- Packages are invoiced annually.
Customized packages and training are available; contact us for special pricing.